A daily sketch, inspired by a graphic depicting the Milky Way.
I’ll be posting this to Redbubble shortly.
Working on watercolor paper instead of the lightweight drawing I’ve been using is so interesting. It takes the rubbing alcohol more deeply, and the gouache seems to sit up on the surface more than it does on my usual paper.
I’m not very good at the video thing, yet. But I think I’m figuring it out. Ideally I’ll have a new video for each daily sketch. With audio commentary on what I’m doing, and why.
Today's daily sketch is based on the idea of wind or air, like yesterday's was based on fire.
It partially works . I think the background needs to be even paler than it is now . Also, the surface decoration , basically the dark focal area of the piece, needs to be darker and more defined.
Today's daily sketch. It was looking a little like christmas wrap for a bit. Thankfully adding the last layer mellowed it out, and made it come together.
I'm trying to develop a language of marks, and symbols that is consistent. Currently I'm thinking that triangles are a good representation for fire or flame. Circles and ovals for water and squares for earth. For air I think it's going to be those diddly marks I like so much.
Also, I'm trying to work on my color theory. For example on this piece, it turns out that green, no matter how muted or earthy is not a suitable complement to red-orange. Dark gray and purple are. Just like yesterday's post, blues go better with yellows, and yellow ochre. I think this more of an emotional thing, not a visual thing.
I find that chalk pastels are becoming my favorite base layer. it's just such a nice surface to work on.
Now, time to get back to the stitching.
Today I did something a little different. First I checked "Oblique Strategies" and got the prompt, "get dirty" I'd already been planning to do four iterations. And the image for today was an embroidered garment from the 1920's.
So...the first image is a rough sketch of the embroidery. The second is a quick interpretation of the first, and so on. There's more chalk pastel mixed with watercolor and rubbing alcohol than usual. And, indeed it's kind of getting messy/dirty.
Turns out this paper is terrible for calligraphy. There are fixes, like gum sanderac, burnishing, and, possibly, ironing.
(I didn't post yesterday's as I think I'm the only person that could make sense of it)
Just capturing a few ideas
I'm trying to find a way to represent lace obscuring other stitching
Amethyst starling, with text from "
The Avicultural Magazine, Volume 6"
Photo reference by aquieterstorm.tumblr.com
Today's turned out pretty well. The gold gel pen moves with the watercolor brush, more than I thought it would. It's made an interesting, obscuring, layer of sparkle. The text is one of the psalms in latin.
I was debating if it needed some true white highlights.
This is an idea I'll be revisiting.